Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Watch What You Say To Me







In this day and age, e-mail is the name of the game. It's occured to me that sometimes people truly fail to realize the message that is carried across through words not spoken. No one knows your tone or how you meant to say it; all they know is what they read. Perception is reality. With that being said, the company I work for [who shall remain nameless] has a very virtual corporate culture. VoIP phones, IM @ work, and good 'ol Outlook are the norm around here. There are people I have never met in the physical but certainly have an opinion of them based on our e-mail rapport. I got a story to tell...


This bitch (I only call her this in order to keep her identity anonymous) tried to get crunk with me last year. On the most recent occasion, I sent her a note inquiring about some of her clients. She responds with follow-up questions and CCs her analyst (cool) and her manager (ehhh). This began on Friday when I initially sent out the e-mail. Although I appreciate the prompt reponse, I got shit to do too! I will get back to you, thanks. So she sees it fit to send me ANOTHER e-mail Tuesday with MY MANAGER CCed this time. Her friendly message was "Will you be able to respond soon? Please advise."


Really?

Bold, right? Audacious? Yeah...fuck her. I handled it with the appropriate corporate tact in my reply, but not before I Iked her in my mind. There needs to be some understood e-mail etiquette present in order so situations like this will be few and far between

  1. Give People Time To Respond - We all have our own "cotton to pick" @ work. Be courteous with your inquiries. No need to CC my manager unless I have not responded for a week AND you have called me once. Which leads into my second point
  2. CC - Do NOT CC my manager or anyone else for that matter unless it is absolutely necessary. If you just can't help yourself and somehow think it will expedite the process to CC folks with a balls out approach, you are actively participating in bitchassness.
  3. Watch Your Tone - As I stated earlier, messages come across through your written words. Don't be oblivious to the power it holds. As much as you feel like someone is "trying you", don't reward bitchassness with more bitchassness. Kill them with that smug corporate kindness. Most importantly,
  4. Don't Abuse Your Power - I understand people want what they want when they want it, however its the Spreadsheet sluts, PDF prostitutes, and Powerpoiont pole workers who are gettin pimped for the minimalist of wages. Give us time to do YOUR work. ...the fuck?!

2 comments:

Bella Reese said...

How rude of you to say such asinine things about corporate America?! JUST KIDDING! You are sooooo right! I think I should post this on my desk somewhere and maybe even forward it out to a few people around here who need to get a clue (well, just one person really). It would look great in a frame! Good job lovey! Sun gives you two thumbs up!

SETH BRUNDLE said...

LMFAO @ "I only call her this in order to keep her identity anonymous." That shit literally made me laugh out loud in my very quiet office. I think we've all had to deal with this nonsense at one time or another. And I handled that shit exactly as you did. With tact. This white boy I used to work with felt threatened by me so he used to try to make me look bad every opportunity he got. I sonned his ass and brought attention his shortcomings all at the same time so bad, he apologized to me in front of our whole office. And I didn't even have to go into "big Black man" mode. HA!